Here is a quick update regarding matters that have come up since our last email out, and some information that Council has sent through.
Please stay up-to-date with COVID information through the Council website, or the NSW Health Website. Regular, local messaging will also be delivered through the Local Health District’s Facebook page. For further information or enquiries, please contact the Public Health Unit on (02) 4221 6700 or email ISLHD-PHU@health.nsw.gov.au.
The colour of the bay?
Council testing has revealed that Jervis Bay’s recent colour is caused by a green algal bloom, which is non-toxic. They are not 100% sure which type of green algae, and so DNA testing is currently being undertaken.
Update on ongoing matters
- At our last meeting we resolved to ask Council if a Plan of Management has been prepared for a reserve at Woollamia adjacent to Currambene Creek. Council have responded that they have organised consultants, Kerrel Ross Kelly, to do this work in 2021. In addition they have explained that in 2015 there was divided community opinion about erosion and use of this land. The Voice has asked for a copy of Council documents pertaining to past decisions on this land.
- Tony Lim has been liaising with Elite Energy regarding their offer of a regular donation / scholarship to local schools. The schools are supportive and it looks as though there will be a process established that suits all. More information when available.
- The Voice sent a letter to council expressing concern about the intersection of Currambene St and Bowen St and requested that the ‘Give way’ is further highlighted. No response to date.
- Donation from Nature Lodge Optics for dog tidy bags has been received – many thanks to the proprietors of this business.
- Based on the findings from our most recent community consultation (Community Speaks 2019) the Voice wrote to Council in support of a proposed Special conservation reserve at Manyana.
SCC Planning documents for comment
- The SCC is setting up a Management Committee for the Woollamia Maritime Precinct / Recreational Reserve. If you are interested in being part of this committee please contact Council by Sunday 17 January 2021. More information.
- Would you like to be part of a Community Reference group to review Shoalhaven’s Policy and Guidelines related to dogs areas and management? If you are interested in being part of this committee please contact Council by Sunday 17 January 2021. More information.
- The Council is proposing parking restrictions in Dinghy St, Vincentia. Feedback can be given to Council by 7th January 2021. More information. You can find the plan here.
- A copy of the Submissions on the draft State Strategic Plan for Crown Land are available (not summarised). The Department of Planning, Industry and Environment are current revising the plan based on feedback received.
- The Bay and Basin Community Strategic Plan work continues. Thank you to all who completed the survey. Preliminary results from the survey can be found here.
Recent Development Applications in Huskisson / Woollamia
- DA20/2322 – Demolition of Existing Structures and Construction of Hotel Accommodation with Ancillary Bar/Bistro and Function Centre, 12-16 Wool Rd, and 5 Burton St Vincentia. More information.
- DA20/2312 Multi-unit development – four x two storey dwellings & four lot strata title subdivision plus demolition of dwelling & outbuildings, 42 Duncan St, HUSKISSON
- Health and wellbeing support
- NSW Marine Estate December newsletter
- Bundanon Trust newsletter
- Birdlife Shoalhaven events
- Tomerong Hall is in need of community support to keep it running. Due to COVID there have been very few bookings or gigs. And yet they have to keep paying the insurance bill. You can support the Tomerong Communityby purchasing an engraved paver, $66 each.
- Elite Energy – looking for helpers for the Tri Batemans Bay, 6 February 2021, and Shimano Husky Triathlon 26 – 28 February 2021.
- Shoalhaven Council Reducing waste tips and news
- Moona Moona Creek playground has been formally opened. Some users are concerned that the area of soft fall isn’t adequate to level of ability users. If you have any thoughts or feedback on the playground (its great, something is missing …) let us know firstname.lastname@example.org
Please have a wonderful festive season – and may you stay safe and healthy.